The Biographies Committee acquires, maintains and makes available information about the lives and achievements of ringers who have contributed to the Exercise. The Committee’s aim is to make biographic and related information easily accessible to ringing historians and to interested ringers at large. All records (over 900) are published on the Council website. Archival hard copies are also produced and held along with historic calligraphic records in the Central Council Library.
Biographical information held by the Committee will not be used during the subject’s lifetime (other than by agreement) and may thereafter be used as source material for biographic records or obituaries and/or articles on the history of ringing, in The Ringing World or in future publications.
Our growing set of biographic records appears below as an accessible resource for ringing historians and for others interested in the history of ringing. Biographic records are also printed to provide a permanent archival record in the Central Council Library.
Providing information to us
Producing a biographic record is made much easier if we have some information in advance. The easiest way to do that is to download and fill in one of the forms below. You can enter information electronically or on paper, whichever you prefer. The forms are designed to make it easy to supply as much or as little information as you wish. Even if what you give us is very basic, it will help us to know ‘where to look’ when the time comes, in order to write a record that properly reflects your contribution to ringing.
- All members (or former members) of the Central Council — It would help us if you provide information to us, which will help us when in due course we need to write biographic record of your life.
- Other ringers — We are happy to receive information from you if you think that we might in due course be expected to write a biographic record of your life.
Over time things move on, so an update after a number of years would also be appreciated.
Forms to download
If you have never provided us with information before, please use one of these forms:
- If you can read MS Word files and you want to complete the form electronically and send it to us by e-mail, use the Biography sheet in MS Word format
- If you want to print the form, fill it in by hand and post it to us, use the Biography sheet in PDF format
If you have provided us with information in the past, please use one of these forms:
- If you can read MS Word files and you want to complete the form electronically and send it to us by e-mail, use the Biography Update sheet in MS Word format
- If you want to print the form, fill it in by hand and post it to us, use the Biography Update sheet in PDF format
- When you type into the boxes in the MSWord forms, the boxes will expand to accommodate what you type. Do not worry about the layout, page overflows, etc.
- If you use the PDF forms, they are laid out to provide reasonable space for you to write in information.
- Don’t worry about filling in everything, or if you can’t remember exact details. Approximate information is OK.
- Please include a recent photo most electronic formats are acceptable) or enclose a postcard-sized print if sending by post.
Terms of Reference
To maintain an account of the work and general ringing activities of past and present ringers, to make the information created available to ringers and the wider public, and to foster an interest in the history of ringing.
- 2015 Annual Report — 2016 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2014 Annual Report — 2015 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2013 Annual Report — 2014 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2012 Annual Report — 2013 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2011 Annual Report — 2012 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2010 Annual Report — 2011 Council Meeting Minutes
- 2009 Annual Report — 2010 Council Meeting Minutes
- View menu page for Council Reports from 1945 and Minutes from 1890
Anne Bray St Agatha's Guild