We cannot help but be moved by the images that have been coming from Australia recently, of the devastating fires that are taking hold there, our thoughts are with those affected. Many ringers have been discussing on social media if there is anything that we can do for our fellow ringers who may be affected.
I have been in contact with the ANZAB President, Peter Harrison, who has informed me that no ANZAB towers have been directly affected by any of the fires in Australia. A couple got close, but the townships are all okay (for now). They are grateful for the concern that the ringing community has shown as ringers have contacted other ringers in Australia and New Zealand to check on their welfare and the state of towers. They are happy to report that there have been no ringing casualties or damage.
If you feel that you would like to contribute towards the relief efforts, there are a number of state-run organisations to choose from listed below:
• Red Cross AU (national): https://redcross.org.au/campaigns/disaster-relief-and-recovery-donate
• Rural Fire Service (NSW): https://quickweb.westpac.com.au/OnlinePaymentServlet?cd_community=NSWRFS&cd_currency=AUD&cd_supplier_business=DONATIONS&action=EnterDetails
• Fire and Rescue (Qld): http://www.givit.org.au/
• Country Fire Authority (Vic): https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supporting-cfa
• Country Fire Service (SA): https://cfsfoundation.org.au/donate
• RSPCA (national): https://www.rspcansw.org.au/bushfire-appeal/
• Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) (NSW): https://www.wires.org.au/donate/now
• Wildlife Victoria (Vic, obviously): https://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/
• SAVEM (SA): https://www.savem.org.au/about-savem/donate/
We hold our ANZAB friends and their friends and families in our thoughts.
CCCBR Public Relations Officer